Danazol is a synthetic androgen obtained from Ethinyl testosterone that acts by decreasing the amount of progesterone and estrogen produced by the body. It is primarily indicated for the treatment of endometriosis that has not yet advance to surgery stage. It has been proven effective in the treating of fibrocystic breast disease because it reduces growth rate of abnormal tissue. It is also used to treat hereditary angioedema caused by C1INH deficiency due to its ability to increase C1INH and C4 levels in the system.
After its administration, peak concentrations of danazol can be attained in the serum after about 2 to 3 hours but its therapeutic effects will not be realized until after 6 to 8 weeks of continuous medication. In a case where this medication is used for the treatment of a fibrocystic breast disease, a reduction in pain may start to be noticed after a month of continuous medication with peak effects at 2 to 3 months of treatment. Danazol is clinically indicated for the treatment of hereditary angioedema prophylaxis and it can also be used to treat endometriosis, chronic immune thrombocytopenia, mastalgia that is associated with HIV or Pre-Menstrual Syndrome, purpura, PMS that is associated with weight gain and bloating, depression, anxiety, emergency post-coital contraception and finally, in the palliative treatment of fibrocystic breast disease.
- Improves endometriosis.
- Treats fibrocystic breast disease.
- Improves PMS symptoms.
- Aides in infertility treatments.
- Improves hereditary angioedema.
ADVERSE REACTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS
Danazol is well known to increase fluid retention in the system of human beings so it should be used very cautiously in patients with:
- Migraines, headaches, cardiac disease.
- Seizure disorders and renal impairments since it can worsen the effects of these conditions.
- It should be completely avoided in patients with severe cardiac or renal diseases, pregnant or breastfeeding.
Danazol should never be administered to patients with severe hepatic diseases because it can lead to hepatic dysfunctions which include; peliosis of the liver, cholestatic jaundice, and benign hepatic adenoma. Adenoma and Peliosis may not be detected until a patient suffer from a life-threatening intra-abdominal bleeding. If danazol must be used in patients with this condition, then the clinician must proceed with caution and regular liver function examinations should be carried out to ascertain safety. Danazol should never be used to treat fibrocystic breast disease until all possibilities of breast carcinoma have been eliminated. If the nodules on the breasts enlarge or persist after this treatment, the possibilities of cancer should be evaluated.
Danazol should not be used in patients with acute intermittent porphyria because it can induce the activity of ALA synthetase and the metabolism of porphyrin which can facilitate an attack.
- Acne vulgaris, weight gain, seborrhea, edema.
- Hirsutism, deepening of the voice, alopecia, pharyngitis, and hoarseness.
- Reduction in breast size, breakthrough bleeding, menstrual irregularities.
- Emotional liability, vaginal dryness, flushing and ovulatory changes.
- Testicular atrophy and abnormalities in their sperm count, semen viscosity and motility.
Both Men and Women
- Constipation, vomiting, nausea, gastroenteritis and splenic peliosis.
- Vesicular rash, pruritus, urticaria, petechiae, purpura, and amacolopura rash.
- Erythema, nasal congestion and photosensitivity are also some effects that can be experienced.
- Teratogenesis is one of the most serious effects of danazol so this medication should never be administered during a pregnancy. It can lead to severe pseudo hermaphroditism in female fetus but it showcases no adverse effects on a male fetus.
- Some effects of danazol on the central nervous system can include spasms, muscle cramps, joint pains, pelvic pains, back pains, neck pains, and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Hematologic reactions can include; leukopenia, eosinophilia, thrombocytopenia and an increase in blood platelet count.
This list does not include all the possible side effects of this medication so in case you experience any adverse reactions after the administration of this medicine, i.e. swelling, chest pains/chest tightness, wheezing, difficulty in breathing, red painful swollen spots, and itching/hives, contact emergency care services or your health care service provider immediately.