Testosterone is the hormone that is responsible for all the male characteristics which include: the growth and development of male sexual features, and cognitive functions. It plays a crucial role in regulating mood, libido, bone density and energy levels. Testosterone is also responsible for triggering and facilitating the development of male sexual characteristics including: voice changes, the growth of pubic and body hair, fat and muscle mass distribution.
Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) uses testosterone medications to normalize deficient endogenous levels of the hormone in the body. This is done by either diminishing the total hormonal level back to the normal ranges in case of excess concentration, or elevating these levels so that they are high enough, but within the normal hormonal levels so as to reverse any negative effects.
- Enhances muscle mass and bone strength.
- Promotes facial and pubic hair growth.
- Development of a deeper voice.
- Increases sex drive and stamina.
- Improves mood and quality of life.
- Increases cognitive function.
Testosterone deficiency occurs when there is a dysfunction within the HPT-axis which results in a condition known as hypogonadism. This condition can be classified into 3 basic types:
- Primary hypogonadism which originates from the testicles.
- Secondary hypogonadism which involves a dysfunction of the pituitary or the hypothalamus.
- Hypogonadism which is due to idiopathic/unknown causes.
Symptoms of Hypogonadism:
- Physical appearance.
- Mood and Irritable Male Syndrome.
- Sexual dysfunction.
- General deteriorated health: poor sleep, low cognitive function, low stamina, body hair loss and brain fog.
ADVERSE REACTIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS
- Acne or oily skin.
- Mild fluid retention.
- Stimulation of prostate tissue, possibly decreased urine stream or frequency.
- Increased risk of developing prostate abnormalities.
- Breast enlargement.
- Increased risk of blood clots.
- Testosterone therapy can raise a man’s risk for blood clots and stroke.
- Women and children should not come into contact with testosterone gels, it can cause side effects in them, including hair growth and premature puberty.